The 'Roman' bath, though not the buildings over it, dates from the early seventeenth century. The Watch House, once belonging to St Clement Danes, looks early nineteenth century in its present form, but there are documents to show that there was a building of this shape (projecting over the Lane) already in 1724, and a St Clement Danes Watch House on the Lane already in 1607. The patch of brickwork at bottom left, directly under the Watch House outer wall, is seventeenth century and the last bit of the old Somerset House still visible above ground level.
Dr. Jones, who has worked on the Strand for more than twenty years, tells stories of people and animals on this street in the past and nowadays.
Shops, seasons, buildings, sounds....
Everything special about Strand in Professor Brant's memory.
Northumberland House was one of the last survivors of the noblemen’s palaces which originally lined the Strand. It stood on the south side of Trafalgar Square at the start of the Strand, and was recognised by its distinctive lion on the top of the roof. This lion is the symbol of the Dukes of Northumberland, and its twin now stands on the gates to Syon Park in West London. It's strange to think that, before the rapid expansion of London, Syon Park would have been considered a country residence in the early nineteenth-century! Read more »
John Edmund Gardner was the youngest son of Thomas Gardner who described himself as an Oilman. The Gardners had been selling lamp oil at No.484 Strand for more than thirty years when John Edmund was born in 1819. They were also considerable property owners. Thomas's will made in 1837 with codicils in 1838 and 1840 mentions 35 houses both freehold and leasehold in various parts of London, including No 4 Leicester Square. John was baptised, like all his siblings at St Mar Read more »
This photograph of the Aldwych, before the building of Bush House, was found on the Partleton 'In their Shoes' website.