Stanley Gibbons's stamp shop was not the only mecca for nineteenth-century collectors, as Dr Adelene Buckland (English Department, King's College London) demonstrated at the 'Shows of London' seminar series on Monday night at King's (see http://showsoflondon.wordpress.com/). On the opposite side of the street to Gibbons's establishment, at 149 Strand, was a mineral shop from 1804-1881. Read more »
Not far from the theatres, still on the north side of the Strand, is the world-famous Stanley Gibbons stamp shop.
Their website shows what the shop looked like in the late-nineteenth century, when it was at 391 Strand:
In the 1720s, Mrs Holt's Italian Warehouse (a warehouse was a sort of 18th-century department store) in the Strand opposite Exeter Change. According to the trade card that William Hogarth engraved for her, she stocked Read more »
Shopping! This was a major activity on the Strand in the nineteenth-century, and West Strand was the site of the renowned Lowther Arcade (near where Coutts stands today):
This covered shopping area was a favoured destination for whiling away the time in bad weather. You could buy toys and other gifts here.
John Edmund Gardner was the youngest son of Thomas Gardner who described himself as an Oilman. The Gardners had been selling lamp oil at No.484 Strand for more than thirty years when John Edmund was born in 1819. They were also considerable property owners. Thomas's will made in 1837 with codicils in 1838 and 1840 mentions 35 houses both freehold and leasehold in various parts of London, including No 4 Leicester Square. John was baptised, like all his siblings at St Mar Read more »